It’s British Science Week 11-20 March, a 10-day celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).
With rising industry demand for scientific skills, plus increasing public interest in the world around us and how to protect it for the future, choosing a science course really can open up a massive range of exciting career options.
STEM subjects are all high on the government’s agenda for supporting the UK’s future competitiveness and growth. This means that STEM is an area of high investment, with constantly evolving techniques and breakthroughs.
Five fun facts! Did you know?
1. Of the 10 most popular jobs, six are STEM!
- Data Protection
- Software Engineer
- Medical Administrator
- Community Nurse
- Information Officer
2. Of the 20 top paying jobs, 15 are STEM! These include: anaesthetists, flight engineers, veterinary surgeons, investment bankers, dentists and system analysts.
3. In the past 10 years, STEM jobs have grown three times faster than other fields.
4. STEM apprenticeships are growing. The government is investing £180m to create 50,000 more apprentices.
5. There will be over 500,000 new UK STEM jobs in the next five years.
Our City Hub is the base for our range of STEM courses, which vary from Level 1 right through to Degree-level study options. Take a look!