Pride Veterinary Centre is a state-of-the-art multidisciplinary referral hospital. They are seeking a flexible and enthusiastic Apprentice Veterinary diagnostic Laboratory Technician to join their friendly team in Pride Park Derby.
Pride Veterinary Centre is a state-of-the-art multidisciplinary referral hospital with specialist lead teams in Surgery, Medicine, Neurology, Cardiology, Anaesthesia, Diagnostic Imaging, Oncology and Ophthalmology. They strive to deliver world class patient care and their fantastic facilities provide a superb environment to do so. Their in-house Laboratory is manned by a friendly team of fully trained, experienced technicians.
This includes a Laboratory Manager and two full time Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory Technicians.
The Laboratory boasts a full suite of analysers and equipment enabling them to support the entire referral hospital and also the first opinion sites, including Farm and Equine, with high quality rapid results to assist with the diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of patients.
Duties involved within the role include:
- Receipt and booking in of all patient samples using LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) to keep detailed, accurate logs of all specimens for traceability
- Prepare patient samples for testing, evaluate sample quality and ensure accurate labelling
- Process laboratory tests accurately and efficiently using both automated analysers and manual methods in the disciplines of: a). Haematology b). Biochemistry c). Microbiology d). Parasitology e). Urinalysis f.) Faecal analysis g). Endocrinology h). Serology
- Accurately report/transcribe results onto patient records. Liaise with vets and nurses to manage expectations around result turnaround times and to alert them when results are available
- Packaging and posting of all external Lab samples, general admin duties including invoice auditing
- Use the LIMS system to track and manage workflow within the Lab
- Assist with stock control and ordering
- Resolving any queries related to or arising from the laboratory test procedure via the appropriate channels of communication: phone; callback; email
- To perform laboratory testing following SOP's as laid out in individual training profiles
- To aid Head of Lab in evaluation and instigation of new test protocols as directed
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly maintenance procedures for all analytical equipment as directed to ensure accuracy of results at all times
- Perform internal and external QC's on all necessary lab equipment according to in-house policy. Keep accurate records of all QC's performed with necessary remedial action taken where indicated, action noted and signed off by Head of Lab
- Maintain client confidentiality at all times
- Contribute ideas and articles forward for the monthly Lab Newsletter and for the Lab notice board
- Actively promote a healthy working relationship between the Lab and other departments
- General lab housekeeping duties as required
- Other such duties that from time to time become necessary in order to ensure the efficient running of the laboratory
Professional Perks and Benefits - CPD actively encouraged Personal Perks:
- Birthday off work
- Death in Service cover
- Increase in holiday allowance with service
- Discount Staff Pet Scheme
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 31/08/2021
Possible start date: 05/09/2021
- You should have an interest in laboratory work
- You can work alone and are organised and safety conscious
- You must have a high degree of accuracy
- You are a real team player
- You are proficient in English (verbal and written)
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise
GCSE A*-C/9-4 in maths, English and Science (or Functional Skills/BTEC Level 2 equivalent).
Laboratory Technician Standard Level 3 - https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/laboratory-technician-v1-2
Functional Skills Level 2 in maths & English if not exempt.
Please note that the apprenticeship standards require the apprentice to sit an End Point Assessment.
Please refer to above link for more information.
Possible permanent position on the completion of the apprenticeship.
Additional questions for candidates
During the application process you will be asked the following additional question(s) below. To prepare yourself, have a think about how you might answer them.
Please say why you want to do the Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship based in a Veterinary Hospital. What personal qualities and/or skills do you feel you have that make you a good candidate for this role?
For the purposes of shortlisting your application against your commute from home to the employers address, please say whether you will be using public transport or have a driving licence and access to your own vehicle.
Pride Veterinary Centre is a state-of-the-art multidisciplinary referral hospital with specialist lead teams in Surgery, Medicine, Neurology, Cardiology, Anaesthesia, Diagnostic Imaging, Oncology and Ophthalmology. They strive to deliver world class patient care and their fantastic facilities provide a superb environment to do so.
Scarsdale Vets LLP, Pride Veterinary Centre
Map data is calculated from the available geolocation information.
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
(37 hours per week)
|Expected duration||27 months|
|Related course||Laboratory and Science Technician - Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3)|
£160.95 - £303.77
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).