A rare opportunity has become available at one of Nottingham’s favourite newest tea rooms. Josephine’s tea room are looking for an apprentice chef to learn the ropes and create delicious homemade dishes from scratch.
Within this role you will gain skills and qualifications pivotal to becoming a professional chef. Working in a fast paced and busy kitchen you will gain practical experience in the day to day duties involved in working in a professional kitchen.
Duties and topics covered across the role will include:
- Modern cooking techniques
- Knife skills
- Plating and presentation skills
- Preparing stocks, soups, sauces and garnish
- Dealing with deliveries, stock control & ordering
- Assisting on prep days and preparing ingredients for senior staff
- Learn stock control, ordering and how to design delicious menus
- Baking fresh cakes and desserts
- You will be able to work well, within a team or individually whilst under pressure in a busy environment
- Learn to prepare and serve food to our clientele to the highest of standards. This will include breakfasts, lunch, afternoon tea along with baking cupcakes, traditional cakes, scones, tray bakes etc.
- You will have a strong passion, and interest in food and baking plus be meticulous on food presentation
- Be able to work under pressure, at speed and be self-motivated
- You will put the customer first and have an exceptional level of customer service and communication skills
- Happy to multi-task in other areas
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 31/10/2019
Possible start date: 04/11/2019
The post holder will be able to demonstrate strong organisational and team working skills. They will be able to demonstrate a good level of spoken and written literacy.
A*-D/9-3 in maths and English or equivalent at GCSE desirable but not essential.
Candidate must be able to travel to the workplace according to working hours and be willing to work public holidays in accordance with the role.
Commis Chef Level 2.
- Level 2 Food Production Qualification
- Functional Skills English, maths and ICT Level 1 if required
This apprenticeship is 1 day per week at the college term time only 9am - 5pm with the other days based at the work place.
Training will be day release one day a week Tuesday to Clarendon College Cookery School.
Potential opportunity for a permanent role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Additional questions for candidates
During the application process you will be asked the following additional question(s) below. To prepare yourself, have a think about how you might answer them.
Why do you want to work in this industry?
Josephine's is a quaint, traditional English tea room. We bake our beautiful cakes and produce ourselves and we are known for our delectable afternoon tea!
Upper Parliament Street
Map data is calculated from the available employer geolocation information.
Monday - Saturday, earliest start 07:00, latest finish 19:00, exact hours TBC.
(30 hours per week)
|Expected duration||15 months|
|Related course||Commis Chef - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).