A great opportunity to work towards City & Guilds Business Administration qualification at a busy but friendly GP Surgery in the middle of Arnold town centre.
The main purpose of the role is to support the Practice staff in dealing with the patients’ medical requests and issues. This will involve reception duties, using the practices bespoke IT system and progressing the patients being referred to hospital where necessary.
We have successfully recruited several apprentices who are either part way through their apprenticeship or have been offered a permanent position within the Practice and now have a vacancy for another apprentice.
We are looking for a friendly, enthusiastic, flexible individual who is willing to learn administration in an office environment within a large GP Practice. There will be a lot of face to face and telephone contact with our patients.
Supporting the Doctors, Practice Manager and Practice staff, you will be taught how to carry out the following tasks:
- Filing (both paper and electronic)
- Shredding confidential documents
- Observing colleagues dealing with queries
- Working on Reception
- Booking and cancelling/amending patient appointments
- Using our practice, IT clinical and patient systems
- Scanning e.g., hospital letters
- Dealing with repeat prescriptions
- Ringing patients when advised to by the Doctors / Practice staff
- Giving results over the telephone to patients
- Dealing with incoming and outgoing mail
We have an apprentice who has recently completed their programme and also have another apprentice partway through her apprenticeship. Due to a number of staff changes we would like to take on another apprentice to learn the role.
Some of the work may be repetitive, but it must be done accurately.
There could be a potential conflict of interest if the candidate or their family is registered at the surgery. If this is the case and you are successful, you will need to move surgery if appointed.
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 05/01/2020
Possible start date: 20/01/2020
- Good IT/keyboard skills
- Clear verbal communication skills (our elderly patients visit the surgery a lot)
- Able to follow instructions
- Good listening skills
- Able to strictly adhere to practice policies and procedures, due to the nature of the role
- Any prior experience of working with the public is desirable such as waitressing, working in a shop
- GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in English
Full in-house training on all aspects of the role and processes including:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Business Administration
- Functional Skills in English, maths & ICT if not exempt
Training on bespoke clinical system - System 1 and regular monthly CPD sessions including Fire Safety, Health & Safety, First Aid, CPR.
For the right candidate we want to offer ongoing employment and development once the initial apprenticeship has been completed.
Highcroft Surgery is a very large but friendly and supportive doctor’s practice, providing NHS medical services to our 12,500 local patients. We have a large purpose-built building which also offers community-based services to local people. The practice is located on High Street in Arnold town centre with good transport links.
Arnold Healt Centre
Map data is calculated from the available employer geolocation information.
Monday - Friday, shifts TBC.
(37.5 hours per week)
|Expected duration||12 months|
|Related course||Business and Administration - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).