Apprentice Laboratory Technician — Engineering
Nottingham Trent University Clifton Campus, are looking to recruit an Apprentice Laboratory Technician within the School of Science & Technology on a 2 yr Fixed Term Contract. This hands-on role will suit someone with an interest in the areas of Mechanical, Electrical, Sport and Biomedical Engineering. Providing routine and one-off testing and technical support in a scientific laboratory environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to undertake training as a member of the Technical team, provide assistance to staff and students on undergraduate, postgraduate and research programmes in the School laboratories, workshops and studios.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Undertake training alongside laboratory assistants with the cleaning of glass/plasticware, ensure laboratories are kept in a clean and orderly manner and arrange the laundering of staff and student lab coats
- Undertake training alongside supervising technicians with practical demonstrations of equipment to staff and students
- Assist supervising technicians with the set up, to a satisfactory standard, the materials, equipment and apparatus for laboratory, workshop or classroom sessions
- Prepare and carry out technical procedures following clear guidelines from supervising technicians and/or standard operating procedures
- Undertake training in the routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment within own area ensuring equipment is in good working order, as instructed by supervising technician
- Adhere to strict Health & Safety guidelines as outlined in the School Safety Handbook and work to local laboratory procedures.
- Be aware of the key contacts within the School
- Replenish stocks of consumables/stores of basic equipment etc. in order to ensure availability to meet work requirements
- Carry out record keeping, filing, data inputting, cataloguing, fault reporting as required by supervising technicians
- Commit to attend College for appropriate off site training to obtain L3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Laboratory Technician. Attend regular progress meetings with immediate supervising technicians and/or Technical Group Leader to establish progress, evaluate ongoing training needs and attend relevant training courses as identified
- The post holder may be required to undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required as within the nature of the duties and responsibilities of the post within the school, such as a requirement to work outside normal office hours dependant on the needs of the business
This Job Description provides an overview of the principal accountabilities of the post and accountabilities will include but will not be limited to those detailed. It is anticipated that the content of roles will evolve and change over time and such the balance of duties within the job description will change within the broad remit of the post.
We are looking for candidates with the following personal qualities:
- This is a training opportunity for an individual who has an excellent attention to detail
- A keen interest in science
- Friendly, welcoming, polite and professional. A quick learner who actively listens and communicates information effectively
- The ability to plan time effectively to achieve results in the day to day work. Organised with the ability to prioritise work appropriately
- Works effectively as a member of a team and takes responsibility for getting things done as part of a team
- Willingly takes on new tasks/adopts new approaches as required as appropriate to job role. Participates in Performance Development Contribution Review (PDCR) and takes responsibility for keeping professional skills and knowledge up to date
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 05/04/2023
Possible start date: 01/08/2023
- Communication skills
- IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisation skills
- Number skills
- Team working
- Team working
- GCSE or equivalent English, maths & a science subject 4 or C or Level 2 pass (Essential)
Laboratory Technician Standard Level 3 - https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/laboratory-technician-v1-2
Functional Skills Level 2 in English and/or maths if not exempt.
Please note that the apprenticeship standards require the apprentice to sit an End Point Assessment. Please refer to above link for more information.
Day release at college is one day per week at our Nottingham City Hub during term time for 2 academic years, starting September 2023. You will study the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science, if you havent already achieved this qualification.
The college day release is planned to start September 2023 but you may be able to start employment a month or so before then.
Potential of ongoing employment upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
The big challenges that our world faces are complex. We are working to solve them by sharing our ideas, expertise and technology across the University and with our partners.
Map data is calculated from the available geolocation information.
Monday - Friday, 08.30 - 17:00
Total hours per week: 37
|Expected duration||27 Months|
|Related course||Laboratory and Science Technician - Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3)|
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).