Tom Browns are looking to recruit a hardworking and passionate individual to join their kitchen team. Working alongside the Head Chef you will develop your skills whilst undertaking the Commis Chef apprenticeship.
Day to day duties will include:
- Recognise the importance of checking food stocks and keeping the storage areas in good order, know the procedures to carry out and how to deal with identified shortages and food close to expiry date
- Understand how personal and team performance impact on the successful production of dishes and menu items
- Understand the principles of supply chain and waste management
- Recognise potential risks in the working environment, how to address them and the potential consequences of those risks
- Identify traditional cuts of; and basic preparation methods for, meat, poultry, fish and vegetables
- Apply correct preparation and selection methods when using meat, poultry, fish and vegetables in dishes
- Use correct knives and knife skills when preparing food and use the correct equipment when preparing, cooking and presenting food
- Demonstrate a range of craft preparation and basic cooking skills and techniques to prepare, produce and present dishes and menu items in line with business requirements
- Measure dish ingredients and portion sizes accurately
- Show enthusiasm for keeping up to date with business and industry trends
- Work effectively with others to ensure dishes produced are of high quality, delivered on time and to the standard required
- Set an example to others by working in ways which minimise waste
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 30/11/2021
Possible start date: 01/12/2021
- Good communication skills
- Punctual Works well as part of a team
A*-D/9-3 Maths and English or equivalent at GCSE desirable but not essential
Potential opportunity for a permanent role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship
Additional questions for candidates
During the application process you will be asked the following additional question(s) below. To prepare yourself, have a think about how you might answer them.
Why do you want to work for this company and become a commis chef?
Do you have a full UK driving license and access to your own car?
Tom Browns is a family run business serving fresh food using the best products. The Restaurant has earned 2AA rosettes and many recommendations from food guides over the years. We pride ourselves on great service and excellent food! We welcome any candidate that’s hard working and wanting to learn.
Map data is calculated from the available geolocation information.
Range of shifts over 7 days
(40 hours per week)
|Expected duration||18 months|
|Related course||Commis Chef - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
£174.00 - £328.40
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).