Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Finance Department are looking for a Finance apprenitce. The Finance Department contributes to the corporate objectives of the organisation by ensuring that the Service is managed on a sound business foundation and that employees are supported in carrying out activities which have financial implications.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person who is keen to learn more about the accounts function across the board
and is willing to work hard to become a integral part of this small team.
Day to day duties will include:
1. Gaining experience in processing invoices for payment on the financial system and obtaining authorisation for
2. Gaining experience in preparing supplier details to enable new suppliers to be added to the financial system.
3. Gaining experience in processing payments by cheque or BACS (Bankers Automated Clearing System) to
suppliers and employees, including preparation of data for the BACS run.
4. Gaining experience in processing urgent payments by CHAPS (electronic, same day payment system) in respect
of retirement lump sums and pay arrears.
5. Gaining experience in processing Petty Cash returns. Management of Headquarters’ petty cash, including
checking that amounts claimed are within approved limits, recording details of expenditure, reimbursing cash to
employees, reconciling records to cash and requesting reimbursement of cash from the bank.
6. Gaining experience in maintaining and reconciling control accounts relating to employee deductions from
7. Gaining experience in handling arrangements for the payover of deductions to appropriate bodies and provision
of supplementary information.
8. Gaining experience in checking and processing of travel and other expense claims from employees in the financial system.
9. Gaining experience in responding to queries from employees about their travel and subsistence claims and entitlements thereof.
10. Gaining experience in carrying out independent rolling and year end stock taking within the Supplies Department.
11. Gaining experience in collection of income from various sources, both cash and cheques.
12. Gaining experience in preparing cash for banking and paying cash into the bank branch.
13. Gaining experience in allocating income collected to financial system codes by way of journal transfer. Reconciling income collected to the general ledger.
14. Gaining experience in allocating miscellaneous items of income and expenditure from the bank statement to appropriate codes in the financial system. This may require Service-wide investigations in respect of unidentified income.
15. Gaining experience in arranging travel e.g. air, rail and accommodation on behalf of the Finance Department and other Headquarters personnel without an administrator.
16. Gaining experience in on a daily basis, checking the bank balance electronically.
17. Gaining experience in managing the stationery requirements of the Finance Department, including placing orders and managing the stationery stock.
18. Gaining experience in covering for the absence of the Finance Assistant (Sales Ledger) by producing sales ledger invoices on behalf of othe
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 19/08/2022
Possible start date: 22/08/2022
- Willing to learn
- GCSE or equivalent Maths and English A*-C/ 9-4 (Desired)
Accounts or Finance Assistant Level 2 - https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-
Functional Skills level 1 / 2
Please click on the link above for more information regarding End Point Assessment.
Potential opportunity for a permanent role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship
The Nottinghamshire and City of Nottingham Fire Authority is responsible for ensuring Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has the people, equipment and training needed to carry out its duties for fire prevention, fire safety, firefighting and rescue, road traffic collision extrication and rescue, and other emergency rescue activities such as responding to flooding or terrorism
Map data is calculated from the available geolocation information.
Monday – Friday 08:30am - 16:30pm
Total hours per week: 37
|Expected duration||15 Months|
|Related course||Accounts/Finance Assistant - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).