We're recruiting for a Higher Apprentice Laboratory Technician. This is an exciting training opportunity for an individual who is enthusiastic, motivated, has an excellent attention to detail and has around 2 years previous lab work experience. THIS EXPERIENCE MUST BE GAINED VIA PAID EMPLOYMENT OR VOLUNTARY WORK - NOT DURING ACADEMIC STUDY.
We're recruiting for a Higher Apprentice Laboratory Technician. This is an exciting training opportunity for an individual who is enthusiastic, motivated, has an excellent attention to detail, has around 2 yrs previous lab work experience through employment or voluntary work, who would like the opportunity to continue working towards a technical career in science in the HE sector.
You will join us during a very exciting time as we further enhance our teaching facilities with our new Engineering building due to open September 2019. The Clifton Campus is also undergoing an extensive regeneration program, which will offer further outstanding student and staff facilities.
Line manager: Technical Team Leader
As a member of the Technical Team, assist and support students and academic colleagues in laboratories, workshops and studios. Maintain a safe and appropriate work environment, ensuring it is fit for purpose and prepared suitably.
The Assistant Technician works in the following subject areas: - Science & Technology
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Cleaning of labware & equipment both manually and with washing machines
- Replenish stocks of consumables/stores of basic equipment etc. in order to ensure availability to meet work requirements
- Ensure that work areas are kept in a clean and orderly manner so to comply with Health and Safety requirements and regulations
- Organise the cleaning of staff & student lab coats
- Assist technicians with the setting up of materials, equipment and apparatus for laboratory or workshop sessions as instructed by the supervising technician
- Assist technicians with practical demonstrations of equipment to staff and students
- Undertake routine cleaning, maintenance and minor repairs of basic equipment within own area, as instructed by the supervising technician
- Carry out record keeping, filing, data inputting, cataloguing as required by supervising technicians
- Be aware of key contacts within the school
- Commit to attend College for appropriate off site training to obtain L5 Laboratory Scientist Higher Apprenticeship. Attend regular progress meetings with immediate supervising technicians and/or Technical Team Leader to establish progress, evaluate ongoing training needs and attend relevant training courses as identified
The postholder may be required to undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required as within the nature of the duties and responsibilities of the post within the school, such as a requirement to work outside normal office hours dependent on the needs of the business. Special requirements: All staff are expected to comply with the University’s Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities policies in the performance of their duties.
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 18/11/2019
Possible start date: 01/01/2020
Essential skils required:
- Good standard of IT literacy, including standard MS Office applications
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently, both independently and as part of a team
- Good organisational skills and ability to prioritise and work to deadlines
- Good communication skills, with experience of communication through various mediums
Essential knowledge required:
- Knowledge of basic scientific terminology
- Knowledge of basic equipment used in science (e.g.Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering)
- General awareness of basic scientific Health and Safety regulations
Desirable knowledge required:
- Knowledge of software packages e.g. Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of maintaining equipment within science (e.g.Biology,Chemistry, Physics, Engineering)
Essential experience required:
- Some relevant experience of working within a scientific area
Desired experience required:
- Experience of working in a HE environment
- Educated to GCSE Grade C/Grade 4 in English, maths and a relevant Science subject or equivalent in a relevant subject/equivalent work experience
- Relevant A levels or BTEC Level 3 equivalent
- Work towards a relevant technical qualification & award eg Registered Science Technician (R.Sci.Tech)
Technician Scientist Level 5 Apprenticeship Standard consisting of:
- Foundation Degree or Higher National Diploma
- Workplace problem solving project and plan
Additional questions for candidates
During the application process you will be asked the following additional question(s) below. To prepare yourself, have a think about how you might answer them.
Please detail the work experience you have gained working in a Laboratory environment - ideally the employer has stated 2 years but will consider less. Experience gained during academic study does not count, it has to be through employment or voluntary work.
Please say why you feel you are a good candidate for this role - what skills do you have that they are looking for.
Nottingham Trent University is a great place to work. We take care of our staff with flexible packages, career progression and opportunities. We value all our staff because we know that it takes a strong and diverse workforce to maintain the kind of success we have achieved.
Clifton Campus New Hall
Map data is calculated from the available employer geolocation information.
Monday to Friday - shifts to be confirmed
(37 hours per week)
|Expected duration||3 years|
|Related course||Laboratory Scientist - Higher Apprenticeship (Level 5)|
£16,766.00 - £19,202.00
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).