Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service is seeking to recruit a highly motivated individual with a passion to improve their skills and knowledge within the Payroll environment. They will assist the Payroll Department in providing a high quality, professional and confidential service to employees of Nottingham Fire and Rescue Service and pensioners.
This post is within the Payroll Team, which is part of the Finance Department. The Payroll Team aims to ensure employee and pension payments are calculated accurately and made on time and in accordance with statutory and internal requirements. The Payroll Team also provides professional and confidential payroll advice and support throughout the Service.
- To gain experience in preparing and processing varied payments using the Authorities Payroll system
- To gain experience in checking and processing of travel and other expense claims from employees and members within the Authorities Payroll system
- To gain experience in responding to queries from employees about their travel and expense claims and understand the different entitlements thereof
- To gain an understanding of statutory payments and deductions, i.e. statutory absences, Income Tax, National Insurance entitlements and how they are calculated
- To gain an understanding of Occupational Absences, Occupational Pension schemes including entitlements and how they are calculated
- To gain confident communication skills in more complex payroll queries
- To gain experience in managing the stationery requirements for the Payroll team, including placing orders and managing the stationery stock
- To work flexibly during busy periods
- Any other duties which may reasonably be regarded as within the nature of the duties, responsibilities and grade of the post as defined, subject to the proviso that normally any significant changes of a permanent nature should be incorporated into the job description in specific terms
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 28/08/2019
Possible start date: 11/09/2019
- Excellent numeracy skills
- The ability to work accurately and with attention to detail
- The ability to maintain confidentiality
- The ability to work both under your own initiative and as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good information technology skills - able to use MS Excel, MS Word and MS Access
- GCSEs or equivalent in English and mathematics
- Willingness to participate in work related development e.g. training
- A flexible approach to working hours such that deadlines can be met at very busy times
9-3/A-D in maths and English at GCSE (or equivalent) are desirable but not essential.
Please note that anyone under the age of 18 will only work a maximum of 40 hours per week. Any role which exceeds these hours on advert will be amended accordingly to fall in line with the legislation.
Please note that if the successful applicant is found prior to the closing date the vacancy may be withdrawn early.
This apprenticeship is work based learning therefore most of the time you will be working at the employers address. Depending on your training you will only need to attend college in Nottingham for initial assessments, enrolment and a few other rare occasions.
Intermediate Apprenticeship in Business Administration Level 2 - 12 months
- Level 2 Diploma in Business Administration
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Functional Skills English, maths and ICT Level 1 if required
Potential opportunity for a permanent role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship.
The City of Nottingham Fire Brigade and the Nottinghamshire Fire Brigade were then created by the Fire Services Act 1947 and the two Brigades merged in 1974. Today, more than 40 years later, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service is run by the Nottinghamshire and City of Nottingham Fire Authority made up of councillors from Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council.
Fire Service Headquarters
Map data is calculated from the available employer geolocation information.
Monday - Friday (Shifts to be confirmed)
(37 hours per week)
|Expected duration||12 months|
|Related course||Business and Administration - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
|Salary||£160.95 - £303.77 (Weekly) Minimum wage rates|