Long Clawson Medical Practice are offering a hard-working and enthusiastic candidate an opportunity to start their career in the pharmaceutical health sciences sector as an Apprentice Dispensary Assistant based in Long Clawson, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.
To receive, assist and direct patients and visitors in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way, in both the Practice and Pharmacy/Dispensary without breaching any confidentiality guidelines.
Provide general assistance to the Practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
Job Responsibilities (Pharmacy/Dispensary):
- To greet all patients showing high standards of customer care at all times
- Processing all medication requests in accordance with pharmacy/dispensary standard operating procedures
- To sell over the counter medicines and providing appropriate advice as directed by pharmacy standard operating procedures
- To ensure all OTC medication is re-ordered and shelves are stocked appropriately
- Answer telephone enquiries for pharmacy/dispensary
- Ensuring all collection boxes are stored correctly
- Unpack stock from the wholesaler for the pharmacy and put away in the correct storage places
- To deliver messages as needed from time to time between different departments i.e. reception
- To attend and complete compulsory training as required
- To attend work looking clean, smart and wearing the uniform provided
- Dispensing acute prescriptions
- Dispensing repeat prescriptions requests received by telephone calls, electronically, face to face and those delivered to the surgery
- Dispensing private prescriptions
- MDS dispensing for community and care home patients
- Administration of Dispensary/Pharmacy computerised system and any software associated with this
- Ensuring the dispensary area remains clean and tidy
- Dealing with returned medicines from patients
- Dealing with uncollected medication
Prescriptions & prescription moneys:
- Handing out prescriptions and collecting charges when appropriate
- Taking prescription repeats over the telephone and at the patients’ hatch
- Sorting, stamping and endorsing prescriptions
- Submitting all unsigned prescriptions to the doctors, generating nurse prescriptions
- Completing backs of prescriptions
- Generating prescriptions
- Ordering appropriate quantities of goods via the wholesaler’s computer link
- Checking goods as and when they are delivered and recording generic details
- Returning incorrect goods to the wholesalers
- Stocking shelves, refrigerators and other storage areas using rotation method
- Removing ‘out of date’ stock from the shelves, refrigerators and other storage areas
- Disposal of returned unused medicines
- Any other delegated duties considered appropriate to the post
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and will be reviewed periodically in conjunction with the post holder. The post holder is required to carry out any duties that may reasonably be requested by the partners, the practice operational lead or the practice manager.
This apprenticeship is work based learning therefore you will be working at the employer’s address and will not need to attend college, except for initial assessments.
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 30/10/2019
Possible start date: 04/11/2019
You will need to:
- Be a good communicator
- Be able to work accurately
- Pay attention to detail
- Enjoy working as part of a team
A*-C/9-4 maths and English at GCSE or equivalent are desirable but not essential.
Please note that anyone under the age of 18 will only work a maximum of 40 hours per week. Any role which exceeds these hours on advert will be amended accordingly to fall in line with the legislation.
Please note if the successful applicant is found prior to the closing date the vacancy maybe withdrawn early.
This apprenticeship is work based learning therefore most of the time you will be working at the employer’s address. You will need to attend college every other week in Nottingham city centre for initial assessments, enrolment and a few other rare occasions.
Candidate must be able to travel to the workplace according to working hours.
You will need to complete the following qualifications to achieve the full framework.
- BTEC Pharmaceutical Science Level 2
- Diploma in Pharmacy Service Skills Level 2 QCF
- Employer Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Functional Skills Level 2 maths if required
- Functional Skills Level 2 English if required
Potential of a permanent role at the end of the apprenticeship or progression onto a level 3 dispensing technician role, dependent upon the performance.
Long Clawson medical practice is conveniently located in the centre of Long Clawson Village.
Map data is calculated from the available employer geolocation information.
Full range of shifts during practice hours between
Monday to Friday
8am – 6.30pm
(37.5 hours per week)
|Expected duration||12 months|
|Related course||Health Pharmacy Services - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).