Vegan Production Chef Apprentice
We offer a professional and nurturing environment, a fair salary, paid breaks, 30% staff discount, discount at the local Leisure Centre and free food on shift! You will be working with an experienced Michelin trained - Head Chef, learning the skills of the kitchen, cooking from scratch and working in a popular and growing sustainable business.
You will gain experience in all areas, building knowledge of varying techniques for food preparation and service.
Our menu is ethical-driven, focusing on using seasonal, locally produced ingredients. We pride ourselves in following a nutritional and wholesome approach to our meals. It’s a role that allows you to explore creative new ways of assembling and combining delicious meat- and dairy-free meals, to help people enjoy eating more plant-based foods.
We offer in return a friendly and supportive environment, teamwork, work-life balance, and most importantly a place where your contribution will be valued and appreciated. We work as a team at The SK, which means we all muck in, we celebrate our individual strengths and we work together to make sure we are collectively achieving high standards to benefit our community.
Expanding on Plant-Based cuisine at this pivotal time in the industry is more exciting than ever! What are the job responsibilities? What this job requires of you will depend on your exact role, but some of the main responsibilities will include:
- Preparing a variety of plant-based ingredients for dishes.
- Running or being a part of a service, which depending on the restaurant, could last anywhere from a few hours to all day or night.
- Having essential cooking knowledge around techniques like chopping and dicing, or blanching and roasting.
- Knowing how to safely handle your ingredients according to national food hygiene standards (food hygiene checks are carried out on a regular basis by local authorities so it is important to be prepared).
- Being able to manage the portion size of foods, and making sure it is presentable.
- Troubleshooting issues during a service and coordinating with service staff and other kitchen staff.
- Knowing how to respond to instructions, often under time pressure.
- Maintaining an up-to-date stock inventory and making sure the correct amount of food is in stock.
- Unpacking and storing stock.
- Developing menus and menu design, ensuring they abide nutritional standards and allergen description requirements.
- Making and developing dishes within a budget.
How to apply for this vacancy
You can apply for this vacancy through the National Apprenticeship Service. If you require any assistance with applying for this vacancy please contact us on 0115 945 7260 or email the apprenticeship team.
Application deadline: 19/06/2023
Possible start date: 26/06/2023
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Organisation skills
- Customer care skills
- Problem solving skills
- Team working
- Team working
- GCSE or equivalent English/ Maths A*-D/ 9-3 (Essential)
- Production Chef Standard Level 2 https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship standards/production-chef-v1-0
- Please click on the link above for more information regarding End Point Assessment.
- Functional Skills level 1 / 2, if required.
Potential opportunity for a role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship.
The Sustainable Kitchen absolutely love cooking and eating amazing food! If it happens to be nutritious too,then that’s just a bonus. This is exactly what we offer to our neighbours in Bingham - The Sustainable Kitchen was born out of passion and real-life experience that offers a completely conscientious way of eating...
The Sustainable Kitchen
Map data is calculated from the available geolocation information.
Monday - Sunday : 10 am – 4 pm with a 30 min lunch. Shifts to be discussed.
Total hours per week: 30
|Expected duration||15 Months|
|Related course||Production Chef - Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)|
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).