The eduroam wireless network service is the Wi-Fi access method for visitors to Nottingham College from participating institutions.
How do I connect?
To connect to the eduroam service whilst at Nottingham College, please ensure that your device has been set up correctly before your visit. Your home institution IT Support service should be able to assist with the required configuration.
- Go to Wi-Fi settings on your device
- Select the Wi-Fi network ‘eduroam’
- When prompted, enter your home institution username followed by your password
- Accept any message regarding certificates/trust if prompted by your device
Visitors will need to enter their home username and password in order to connect to the eduroam service if these credentials are not already cached on your device. The user credentials supplied by your device must identify your home institution e.g. email@example.com would identify user jane.smith from Example College.
You should only need to authenticate once using your home institution credentials and after that you’ll automatically connect to eduroam every time. You will need to repeat these steps if you change your college password.
If you encounter any problems with visitor Wi-Fi at Nottingham College, contact our IT helpdesk on 0115 912 5555.
What is the eduroam wireless network?
The eduroam service also allows users who are working away from their home institution to use local Wi-Fi facilities if their home institution is also part of the eduroam network.
An organisation can take part in the eduroam service through being a ‘Home’ institution, a ‘Visited’ institution, or both:
- a ‘Home’ institution provides authentication for its users when they wish to access internet facilities at a participating ‘Visited’ organisation
- a ‘Visited’ institution permits members of other organisations to use its internet facilities whilst on site using their ‘Home’ institution credentials
Nottingham College participates as a ‘Home’ and ‘Visited’ institution.
For the latest information about where eduroam is available in the UK, visit JANET roaming locations.
For information about where eduroam is available globally, visit the eduroam website.
If you choose to continue to the eduroam network, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the following terms and conditions of use. If you disagree with any part of these terms and conditions, you may not continue.
- Your use of any information or materials on sites you access is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable.
- You agree that, though this portal, you will not perform any of the following acts:
- Attempt to access devices or resources to which you have no explicit, legitimate rights
- Copy, reproduce, or transmit any copyrighted files or information other than in accordance with the requirements and allowances of the copyright holder - Launch network attacks of any kind including port scans, DoS/DDoS, packet floods, replays or injections, session hijacking or interception, or other such activity with malicious intent
- Transmit malicious software such as viruses, Trojan horses, and worms
- Surreptitiously install software or make configuration changes to any device or application, by means of the installation or execution of key loggers, registry keys, or other executable or active application or script
- You agree that you will use the access provided here responsibly and with full regard to the safety, security, and privacy of all other users, devices, and resources.
- You agree that you will be mindful of the cultural sensitivities of others while using this portal so as not to provoke reaction or offence, and that you will not intentionally access pornographic, graphically violent, hateful, or other offensive material (as deemed by us) regardless of others’ sensitivities.
- You understand that we reserve the right to log or monitor traffic to ensure that these terms are being followed.
- You understand that unauthorised use of resources through this portal may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- In addition to the terms and conditions contained within the College Acceptable Use Policy users are also bound by the JANET Acceptable Use Policy. A copy of this policy can be found on the Janet website.