The focus of this course is to develop an individual’s interest in the art form of poetry.
You will learn about different types of poetry, be introduced to a wide and diverse range of poets, and have the opportunity to write and workshop your own poetry.
The course is aimed at creatives of all kinds, and open to people of all age ranges and abilities: creative writers, poets, musicians, song writers, artists, and avid readers. The course is also suitable for people who have no experience in this area, but are interested in starting their journey into poetry writing.
On this course, you will learn:
- How to read poetry and understand its various meanings
- The different eras and movements involved with poetry, and the writers involved with them
- About different types of poetry, from sonnets to spoken word, song lyrics to epics
- How we can use poetry to inform and shape the world around us
- Some basic elements/techniques involved in writing poetry
- How to ‘read deeply’ and find connection and meaning in poetry
- All about ‘resistance’ poetry in particular
- How to write your own poetry as a healthy and positive way to express yourself artistically
- To practice, understand and demonstrate a knowledge of poetry, and take this knowledge further as an academic and/or author
- How to develop, edit, and amend your own work through open, positive, and encouraging workshop environments
- How to enjoy and appreciate poetry for its mental health benefits, and use it as a tool for personal expression, lessening levels of stress and anxiety
Students will achieve objectives by taking part in group activities.
How to apply for this course
Apply now and if you need to pay any course fees, or provide evidence if you wish to claim a fee reduction, we will contact you to let you know how to do this.
For help on completing the online application form, please see our useful apply online guide here.
Want to find out more first?
Get in touch by hitting the button below and filling out our enquiry form.Download a guide Adult learning Browse careers Get in touch
|Location||Date / time||Fees / reductions|
Date / time:
Start: Monday 9th January 2023
End: Monday 20th February 2023
Time: 1:30pm - 4:30pm
Fees / reductions:
Tuition fee: £81
Tuition fees may be waived if you are in receipt of certain benefits or have a low income. Please see our Adult and Community Learning Courses page to see if you can claim a fee reduction.
Course code: C040394 / Q040395
There are no formal entry requirements but you must be aged 19+ and have a good standard of spoken and written English as you will be required tp complete a mandatory course workbook (Individual Learning Plan) each week, with the support of the course tutor.
|Teaching & assessment||
Tutors will give regular verbal and written feedback. You will be required to complete a short workbook and encouraged to set your own personal targets as part of this course.
The course tutor can discuss appropriate opportunities if you wish to further your learning in this subject area.
Information will be made available about other course opportunities at Nottingham College and you will have the opportunity to access external Careers Guidance to aid their next steps.