This qualification aims to provide you with the vital knowledge needed to begin tackling dementia through understanding what it is and how to support those who are affected by it.
It also ensures that you will develop an essential understanding of caring for people with dementia, as well as covering the benefits of positive communication and the importance of individualised, person-centred care.
- Unit 1: Dementia awareness
- In this unit you will learn about precisely what dementia is, the most common types of dementia and the causal factors associated to them. Also explored is how others can have a positive impact on an individual with dementia through a variety of different techniques.
- Unit 2: Person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Within this unit you will build the knowledge and understanding required to enable an individual with dementia to experience a sense of security and well-being. The vital role of carers in such a scenario is also covered.
- Unit 3: Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- This unit will raise your awareness of the different communication needs and limitations of individuals with dementia in order to encourage positive interaction.
- Unit 4: Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Within this unit you will be introduced to equality, diversity and inclusion as ideas to aspire to, which are also all important when practising the person-centred care approach.
- Unit 5: Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- This unit will help you understand the range of cutting edge medications available to, and appropriate for, individuals with dementia, exploring specific needs that individuals may have when receiving medication.
- Unit 6: Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Within this unit you will look at the different behaviours individuals display once diagnosed with dementia and how to respond to particular types of behaviour.
- Unit 7: Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
- In this unit you will explore how engaging in social activities in order to enhance mental, physical and social well-being can be of amazing benefit to individuals with dementia.
|Location||Date / time||Fees / reductions|
Date / time:
You can start this course at any time.
Fees / reductions:
Tuition fee: £399.75
This course could be fully funded for you, subject to criteria. Please view our Financial Help section to see if you are eligible for fee remission.
Course code: C033652 / Q033653
Principles of Dementia Care (NCFE Level 2 Certificate)
You will learn at your own pace, but the course typically takes approximately 123 hours to complete.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Your assessment will be submitted online through the platform and you will receive feedback from a member of the team who will assess your work and provide thorough and supportive feedback.
You may complete this qualification in preparation to apply and work in this industry or to to enhance their understanding of their work environment. Alternatively, you may wish to progress in the subject to a higher level.