As a parent you play a crucial role in helping your child navigate through the tough decisions they face when they finish their GCSEs.
At this time of year your child will be busy trying to complete their GCSE studies, all the while thinking about what comes next. What A Level combination suits them? What career pathway should they choose? Where would they ultimately like to go to University? What extra-curricular activities might look good on their University application? How do they prepare for A Level study?
These are tough questions for any young person but this year, things will seem even tougher. Firstly, they will not sit GCSE exams. Whilst this will be a relief to some, for others they will be even more anxious about their final grades. They have not been able to visit us for an open day or met our tutors and may be feeling added anxiety about the future because of the challenges of the last year.
Your help in supporting your child through this time is critical. Our dedicated A Level parents evening is designed to equip you with the skills and information you may need to support your child. Whether they’ve applied to study us and have an offer of a place, or have yet to make up their mind, we can help.
We will provide:
- Advice about different A Level combinations and the career pathways they work best with
- Information about study methods and how we keep you informed of your child’s progress and achievements
- Details about additional support in and outside of the classroom
- Information about our Covid health and safety protocols so that you can feel confident of your child’s safety and wellbeing
- More about the employers and universities we have close links with to show you how we prepare our students for their next steps
- A breakdown of our extra-curricular offer which provides our students with experiences and life skills that universities and employers will be looking for
- Information about our bridging activities that will help applicants over the summer to prepare for A Level study
- Hints and tips for parents managing child stress and anxiety
- Information about financial support such as travel passes, food vouchers and support with equipment costs
- Plenty of opportunity to ask questions and find out more information.
As well as the one hour event, we’ll make sure we send you our A Level brochure, case studies from past students who have gone on to university study and successful careers, more about the history of our fabulous High Pavement Sixth Form Centre and links to information about our enrolment process.
As a sixth form centre that is attached to one of the largest colleges in the UK, we offer much more than just qualifications. A college experience can be truly inspiring and life changing and we strive to make sure that all our students can reap the benefits that A Level study at High Pavement can offer.
This helpful event is designed to enable parents to offer the best advice and support they can in these challenging times.
- The Head of our High Pavement Sixth Form Centre
- Lecturers from our maths, science, languages, humanities and arts subjects
- One of our specialist Achievement Coaches
- An expert in Student Finance
- One of our Careers Advisors
We look forward to meeting you