Nottingham College is dedicated to becoming more environmentally sustainable.
Our sustainability journey so far
We are busy improving our environmental sustainability through actions such as:
- Nottingham College is contributing to the Carbon Neutral Nottingham 2028 ambition.
- We have just held a Climate Symposium with college staff and students- gathering ideas and opinions about what could be done to improve our sustainability as a college.
- We have signed up to the Universities & Colleges ‘Race to Zero’ initiative, and updated our Sustainability Plan with the aim of becoming Carbon Net Zero (Type 1 & 2 emissions) by 2030, and achieving 40% of that target by 2025.
- We have also adopted the Association of Colleges Sustainability Road Map, setting out a step-by-step process to improve the college’s sustainability position.
- We are developing a new Nottingham College Sustainability Strategy to drive the buildings- and facility-related changes necessary to meet our Carbon Net Zero target.
- We are increasing awareness of environmental sustainability and a myriad of student, staff and curriculum-related initiatives to reduce emissions, contribute to the natural environment and reduce the consumption of resources.
In 2021, the college adopted a Carbon Management plan which set the following targets:
- Becoming Carbon Net Zero, for Type 1 & 2 (direct) emissions by 2030.
- Achieving 40% of the above target by 2025.
- Setting a target for becoming Carbon Net Zero for Type 3 (indirect) emissions as a priority.
- The college has adopted the AOC Sustainability Road Map, which sets out a step-by-step process that improves a college’s sustainability position.
- A Sustainability Strategy for the college is being developed in preparation for final publication in Spring 2023.
- The college has signed multiple accords to be more environmentally sustainable such as the sustainable development goals accord and the Global climate letter.
Through working with sustainable energy providers and coming together as a college community to educate and develop sustainable practices, coupled with an estates strategy which aims to pinpoint target actions for us to reduce our emissions, we are committed to become Carbon Neutral by 2038 for direct emissions.
Our target supports Nottingham City Council’s carbon neutral objectives, and we are implementing a multi-step programme and roadmap of actions to help us achieve this.