A parent’s guide to Apprenticeships
Want to ensure your son or daughter gets the best possible start in their career?
There are lots of different options available to young people when they leave school and we know it can sometimes be a little bit overwhelming. In this guide we will provide all of the latest information about apprenticeships as a key route into a successful career.
An apprenticeship gives your son or daughter the opportunity to get on-the-job experience whilst working towards a nationally recognised qualification, and getting paid at the same time.
An apprenticeship can take between one and five years to complete depending on the level of qualification, they are now set up to cover the equivalent of GCSE, right through to Degree and beyond! Apprenticeships also cover over 1500 job roles in a wide range of industries, from engineering and accountancy, to public relations and veterinary nursing.
There are many benefits to doing an apprenticeship, including:
- Earning a salary and getting paid holiday.
- Gaining the skills needed by employers.
- Excellent opportunities, whether looking to continue studying or progress within the workplace.
- Increased earning potential. Apprentices enjoy marked salary increases when they complete their training and those who complete a Higher Apprenticeship could see increased earnings of approx. £150,000 over their lifetime.
- Learning at a pace suited to them with dedicated support of a mentor.
All of our apprentices need to be over the age of 16 and living in England. Depending on the sector and role chosen, there will be more specific entry requirements. To look at the entry requirements for different types of apprenticeship, take a look at our job areas section.
There are various levels of apprenticeship available, depending on the skills and qualifications someone has. Take a look at the different levels and the equivalent education level:
|Name||Level||Equivalent education level|
|Name: Intermediate||Level: 2||Equivalent education level: 5 GCSE passes at grade 9 to 4 (A* to C)|
|Name: Advanced||Level: 3||Equivalent education level: 2 A level passes|
|Name: Higher||Level: 4, 5, 6 and 7||Equivalent education level: Foundation degree and above|
|Name: Degree||Level: 6 and 7||Equivalent education level: Bachelor’s or master’s degree|
Have more questions?
Our apprenticeship team will be happy to answer any questions you have, you can contact them in the following ways:
- Tel: 0115 945 7260
- Email: email@example.com
- Complete our online enquiry form