This course is perfect if you have a talent and passion for dance and want to pursue a career in this industry.
It offers you the ability to refine your skills, taught predominantly through practical exploration, rehearsals and performance opportunities whilst meeting the demands of the workplace, nurturing your technical and creative talents.
You will collaborate on a number of projects over the course of the year and still have the time to investigate your individual potential as a creative artist, teacher or performer. This vocational training course focusses on building strength and confidence in a broad range of practical skills, underpinned by theory and in response to contemporary and current practice.
The curriculum will be taught in units where skills and knowledge will be assessed. As the students become more proficient in their studies they will be able to draw from knowledge and skills learnt across a range of modules to demonstrate a more rounded and holistic approach to dance. The cognitive, practical and transferable skills learnt will help prepare the student for progression, whether continuing in education or in the workplace. The course is mainly practical with theoretical sessions to support development of the practitioner in creative and educational settings to the extent that it concentrates upon the fundamental factors that determine success.
Units will include:
- The Performing Arts Industry - developing awareness of various job roles within the performing arts industry. It will also include health, well- being and self- promotion of the dancer.
- Professional development - exploring the many potential avenues of employment that relate to individual specialist skill sets, particularly in areas such as performing and teaching. Current sector and employment skills are areas that will help develop skills, interests and professional development.
- Dance Techniques (Contemporary, Jazz and Ballet). Weekly classes in all three disciplines will encourage a wider range of knowledge and understanding. It will also broaden physical awareness, develop core strength, co-ordination, line, placement and flexibility along with the requisite artistry and musicality. To underpin your knowledge further, students will be expected to deliver a class in a preferred style.
- Choreography - giving the dancer an overview of choreography, establishing an understanding of what goes into dance making and how to measure one’s own skill as a choreographer, developing an understanding of choreography in relation to different career pathways.
- Investigation of specialism – providing an opportunity to deepen your knowledge by exploring a chosen style or genre of dance through theory and practical research, resulting in a solo presentation.
- Devising Theatre and Performance – gives the opportunity to work as a company to create and perform a piece of devised work which will be performed to a live audience in a variety of settings such as schools or the local community.
|Location||Date||Fees / reductions|
111 Canal Street
Start: Monday 23rd September 2024
Fees / reductions:
The tuition fee is per year.
Various bursaries are available for some Higher Education courses.
Tuition fee: £8,250
Course code: C047249 / Q047250
We expect applicants to be working at (or to demonstrate competency at) Level 2 or above in English/literacy and maths/numeracy. We accept GCSE passes in English Language and maths at Grades 9 to 4 (previously A* to C).
Applicants must also have a minimum of 48 UCAS points from study at Level 3:
Other combinations of qualifications and experience will also be considered, as will Level 3 qualifications not currently listed on the UCAS tariff.
Applicants may be invited to attend an audition and informal interview. This can be held either on-campus here at the College or remotely.
Mature applicants not meeting the standard entry criteria but with relevant industry or life experience are very welcome to apply.
|Teaching & assessment||
Assessment is continuous, being a combination of case studies, group projects, live briefs, peer review and time-constrained tasks. There are no examinations.
After successfully completing this course, you could progress to the second year of a Dance degree, apply to dance school or enter into employment.