Work Placements for Students
While studying at Nottingham College, the opportunity to complete a work placement can help you stand out from the crowd when you start looking for jobs.
Work placements help you put into practice what you learn at college, develop transferable skills, help you discover what jobs you might like to do and improve your confidence. After your work placement you can include it when applying for jobs and UCAS applications. We even have some students who are offered jobs after their placement finishes. You never know who you might meet and where your contacts could lead.
At Nottingham College we have a team in place to help support you throughout your work placement journey. The team will come into your classes, provide information, support you to access placement opportunities in workshops as well as being available for 1‑to‑1 or small group drop-in sessions.
The team can also help with the following:
- Support you to self-source a suitable placement
- Help you write placement applications
- Identify your strengths and skills
- Keep you posted when new placements are available
- Direct you to further careers advice
What are Extended Placements?
- Completed over 315 hours (approximately 40 days) throughout the duration of the course. This may involve four days at college a week with the fifth day out on placement, completing hours during time away from college or as a ‘block-placement’ in-between term times.
- On-the-job experience completed with an employer, in the industry relevant to your course.
- The hours can be split across two different employers, which gives you a great opportunity to try out different roles.
- If you have a part time job that is relevant to your course, you may be able to use this too!
If you would like further information about work placements at Nottingham College please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work Placement Case Studies
Read about how work placements have benefited both students and employers.
Meet the Work Placement Team
Read about our work placement team.
Labour Market Information
Find out more about current labour market information with our dedicated tool, Career Coach.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions by students about work placements.
Blog - Take the stress out of exam preparation
Published on: 17 May 2023
World Health Day: Kickstart your career in the caring profession
Published on: 7 April 2023
World Autism Awareness Day 2023
Published on: 30 March 2023