Skip to main content

It looks like you have JavaScript turned off

Pretty much everything should work. But you may find some components look slightly off as a result. You can find out what JavaScript is here. If you don't have JavaScript turned off, or if something doesn't work that you think should do, please get in touch.

Fre­quent­ly Asked Questions

We know stu­dents often want to know more about attend­ing a work place­ment so we have put togeth­er a list of fre­quent­ly asked ques­tions that you may find useful.

Can I use my existing self-employment as a work placement?

Yes, if it is relevant to your course.

You would log these as a self-sourced placement, you would however need to ensure that your employer is willing to support you undertaking new duties and enhancing your knowledge within the role.

The employer would also need to be happy for work place assessments to take place with College staff and to complete regular review documents on your progress, knowledge, skills and behaviours within the role.

Who decides if a work placement is relevant to a course?

When applying for a placement you must describe why the role is relevant to your course.

The Work Placement staff will then talk to your Faculty Area Manager and a decision will be made.

Can I be reimbursed for my expenses during a placement?

If you are under taking an extended placement of 315 hours then the Student Funding Team will work together with the Work Placement Team to ensure that you have the support to attend placement.

In order to receive travel support whilst on placement you must complete a Student Finance 2020/21 application form and provide evidence of your household income. Your household income needs to be less than £25,000 net. You must also live more than 1.5 miles away from your placement to get travel support.

If you have received a travel pass through the Learner Support Fund you will not receive any additional travel support. If your placement is in an area not covered by the travel pass then you would need to speak to your Student Funding Team on campus. They will go through travel options with you in order for you to attend placement.

If you receive Free College Meal vouchers we will look at providing a monetary award for your placement days. This may be paid at the end of the term.

Do I have to do a work placement?

Yes, all full time students are encouraged to complete at least 30 hours of Work Placement.

If it has been identified that your course requires an extended placement of 315 hours then this will have been discussed at enrolment stage.

How many hours do I need to complete?

The target is a minimum of 30 hours per academic year (unless you are studying a course that requires an extended placement - please see 'Do I have to do a work placement' above).

If I’m on a two year course do I have to do a work placement both years?


What kind of work placement can I do?

Your work placement must be related to your course of study.

You must be supervised by the employer and be learning how to do a role.

Can I find my own work placement?

Yes, as long as it is related to your course and you are able to submit the request in good time so the Work Placement team can complete their checks.

Before any placements start the employer must be checked by the Work Placement Team.

You must also ensure that the employer is happy to have college staff on site to review your progress and have regular updates with the employer.

What is the process of finding a work placement?

Once you have enrolled on your course, you would log on to our Work Placement Portal to search for a placement.

If you are under 18, you will need to have completed a consent form before you can view the available placements.

If you see something you are interested in, then go ahead and apply!

If you need any help, contact your Work Placement Achievement Coach.

What if there is nothing available that I am interested in?

If there is something specific you are interested in you would speak to your Work Placement Achievement Coach

You are also welcome to source your own, but ensure you follow the self-source guidance on the Work Placement Portal.

Can I do more than one work placement?

Certainly, however, you must obtain approval from your personal tutor to ensure it doesn’t affect your studying programme.

What if I don't know what I want to do for my future career?

Going on a work placement is a great way to find out more and try things!

Look on the Work Placement Portal and if anything matches your interests, apply.

You can also speak with your Work Placement Achievement Coach and/or a Careers Advisor.

What if I can't afford to travel to work placements?

Speak to your Work Placement Achievement Coach to see if there is anything we can do to help!

What if I have health issues that make it difficult for me to do a work placement?

When you apply, there is a section to declare any health issues.

Once you have enrolled, if you are worried, you can discuss this with your Work Placement Achievement Coach

We can work with you to find a suitable placement.

I am a carer for parents/siblings/family/etc. so it's hard to balance a work placement with all my other commitments, is there any way the College can support me with this?

Speak to your Work Placement Achievement Coach about your concerns. They can work with you to find a suitable placement.

Do I have to get a DBS check and if so who pays for this?

No placements require a DBS check. If your placement requires a DBS we will work with the employer to ensure there is no cost to you.

What is the Work Placement Portal?

The Work Placement Portal is a part of our online system where you can apply for work placements and view your progress.

How can I track my work placement status?

You can see the status of your placement and any applications on the Work Placement Portal.